Monday, January 9, 2012

Week One is Behind Us

We have survived our first week in China!
I am learning a few things about the Chinese.
* They love fireworks! The shoot them off for every reason and all hours of the night!!! They are not (at least so far) the pretty ones either that make you say OHHHHH and AHHHH but instead they are the ones that g0 BOOM, BOOM, BOOM really fast.
*They love to blow their horns while driving. But then again I can totally see why. I am very glad that we have a driver b/c it is beyond crazy. Although I am going to miss being able to get in a car and just go.
*They can fit a whole family (not to mention groceries) on a scooter or bicycle. I will need to bring my camera with me every time I leave the house b/c it is unreal how much one person can fit onto their "vehicle".
*They eat some really weird things. I guess I should not judge but when I go to the store to buy chicken it has no head or feet usually!! Again I will need to take my camera with me!!
Anyways, the kids are doing amazing!! They had their first day today, and it was very successful!! When Natalie and I went to pick them up they were all smiles! I must admit that I breathed a huge sigh of relief! I was very worried indeed. Granted it is day one and I am sure that there will be TIC (This Is China) moments, but for now I am happy that they are happy!! Natalie and I spend a great deal of our day playing games, drawing, practicing writing letters, and hanging out.
I am doing okay. I have met a few people . Everyone is very friendly. Everyone I meet says it is hard at first but that it gets better. Everyone has been telling me where to find imported food or items that are close to it (have no idea where any of these places are). It is a little overwhelming being the new person. It is hard to see everyone hugging and catching up after being on Holiday for three weeks. Makes me miss all my friends and family back home. I know that it has only been a week and that it is only the first day of school, and I know that with time, it will get better. I know that! I know that I am outgoing and that I am strong and that I can do this! I just have to keep reminding myself. I plan to stay at school on Friday for a PAFA (Parents and Friends Association) meeting. I was very involved at the kids school in Michigan and plan to be involved here as well. Plus that will allow me to meet some other parents. And since I really do not clean or do laundry anymore and I can not get into a car and just drive myself to Target, I have a lot of time on my hands! I just uploaded some books to my iPad and I look forward to catching up on some reading. Also hope to catch up on my scrapping when that stuff arrives.
Greg is good as well. He has been so very wonderful and I am so lucky to call him my partner. He is taking very good care of us. He is so happy to have his family back with him. Work is going okay. The launch is not doing as well as they anticipated. He is tackling the hurtles as they come and doing it with great pride. I am proud of him.
Zipper (our cat) is back. He had to go into quarantine for a week. He was a little skittish when we got him back but is doing better. The kids just love him to pieces.
Well this was a long one. Long story short, we are all well and we are adjusting and happy to be a family again.
Sending hugs to all of you! Please keep in touch!

4 comments:

  1. Poor Zipper! Andrea and the boys drove by your place after a trip to the Weston's, it's still standing. Take it easy! - The Swansons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it is going well, looking forward to reading more. The school sounds good.
    I can't imagine how quarantine felt for the cat, I was stuck in a carrier for 14 hours then separated from my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear the boys are enjoying their new school! We miss them terribly at Eriksson!!

    Looking forward to following your adventures! Happy to hear you're all doing well!

    Big hugs!!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine what a trip to the grocery store would be like!
    I'm glad Zipper is back with you all.

    ReplyDelete